Pipedreams attracts over 175,000 listeners each week. The audience is 52% male and 48% female. The median age of the audience is 66, and 34% of the listeners are between the ages of 35-64. They are well-educated as 55% of the Pipedreams audience has at least a college degree, and 31% has a household income of $75,000 or more per year.
The Pipedreams audience enjoys the magical sounds from the "king of instruments" and the insights and enthusiasm of host Michael Barone. Public radio classical music listeners also enjoy other types of unique experiences. They are:
- More than twice as likely to go to live theater.
- 78% more likely than the general U.S. adult to attend a music performance other than rock, country, or classical.
- 63% more likely to play a musical instrument.
- 73% more likely to have taken a foreign trip in the last three years than the general adult population.
- 92% like to learn about art, culture and history (29% more likely to enjoy these than the general adult population).
Sources: Audience estimates are copyright Nielsen Audio Nationwide, Spring 2013; Profile 2013, GfK MRI Doublebase 2012. Base: Total U.S. Adults. Produced by NPR Audience Insight and Research.